Tuesday, December 11, 2018

20/20


Hindsight is 20/20. It's a relatively common phrase that I'm sure we've all heard before. It's probably popular because it's pretty self-explanatory and quite true. When you look at your past and what you did, it becomes extremely clear what you should have done and/or what you did wrong. We've probably all been there; you replay a scenario in your head and can't help but think "I should've done X instead of Y. I was being so stupid." This may be for some kind of school assignment (ex. quizzes, exams, etc.) or a dilemma in life.

On a slightly different note, where hindsight is still 20/20, you may look back at your past self and think "What was I thinking?!?!? Oh wait, I wasn't...." This situation has happened to me many times and will probably happen in the future many times more.... The most prominent example of this that comes to mind in my recent past? It's something I had thought about and something my parents still question me about to this day: "Why didn't you say anything when the driver of the car started going over 100 mph and driving recklessly?!?" 

If I had said something, I probably could've avoided a helluva lot of pain and suffering. But at the end of the day, I can't hate myself too much for being an idiot. I don't remember anything during the time frame around the accident, but I can infer from my personality as an adventurous risk taker, I probably thought the speed was fun and exhilarating.... up until the truck went *WHAM* into the tree. We were both dumb teenage boys, I'm willing to venture out on a limb and say that we both probably still am in a multitude of ways. But hopefully even more maturity, wisdom, and a bit more common sense will come as time passes.


2 comments:

  1. This was a great post Curtis. I admire the way you look at life, and how positive of an outlook you always seem to have. I think we could all benefit a little from not putting too much stock in our 20/20 hindsight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people use the phrase as a criticism of hindsight and how pointless it is, but to me it seems like you learn a lot from your reflection of your past actions. Hindsight is very accurate, so why not learn from it?

    ReplyDelete